Friday, June 4, 2010

Discipleship a choice?

Jeepers Creepers how could my understanding of discipleship be so screwed up? For years I grew up with the idea that discipleship was a choice. That I had to make a choice to disciple somebody. I had to identify the person I believe that God send on my way and then had the responsibility to guide this person on his or her way. I also had to decide on which material or program I was going to follow. This may be true in some minute way, but this is definitely not the New Testament idea of discipleship!
Discipleship is not a choice, each one of us IS a disciple. With our lives, actions and words we are discipling our Children, spouses, friends and people we meet. The only question that remain to be answered is who’s disciple did you choose to become? If you look at your kids or the people around you do they reflect Christ as seen in your life of do they reflect your life without Christ?

In 1 Cor. 11:1 Paul says
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Paul is not saying this to boast or because he thought he was without sin.
Rom 7
 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Paul said this because he is earnestly seeking to follow God. He is not telling people what to do, but he is living a life in love of God. This is not a perfect life but it mimics Christ life in the sense that the only thing Paul wants to live for is to love God. Christ did not came to give us a new law but He came to teach us that God is more interested in our adoration that our ability to uphold laws and rules.
We tend to see Discipleship as the teaching of laws, rules and theory, but actually discipleship is the demonstration of a loving relationship that beckons onlookers to join. Discipleship teaches people how to give expression to their love and lead them to a place of freedom where they can express love for God in their own unique way. A place where they can experience God’s love in a way that make sense to them on all the different levels of their being. Discipleship does not force people into a mold, it sets them free to become what Christ intended them to be. It gives them the right and the space to dance and sing in the presence of God Almighty, to rejoice and to meet God face to face.
Discipleship is to say “Follow me as I follow Christ”. Be free in Christ as I am through the grace of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment